You Are What You Eat
Not only do we eat to have energy but we also eat to stay healthy. At the end of the day you are what you eat. The decisions and eating habits we create today have a huge impact on our long term health. That’s a fact. Of course we all have our foods that are not so healthy that we purely enjoy eating for the taste. But the majority of the time we should stick to the more nutritional rich foods. I wanted to share some superfoods you should eat every day for a healthier lifestyle.
What’s So Super About Superfoods?
Superfood has been a term used to describe foods that provide exceptional nutritional value and benefits. Here are 10 superfoods:
1. Greek Yogurt – It has twice the protein of regular yogurt. It has probiotics which is good bacteria to help your digestion and overall stomach health. It also helps your immune system respond. Check for “live and active cultures” bacteria for added benefits.
2. Chia Seeds – These seeds are very high in Omega-3 fatty acids. It has more Omega-3 than Salmon gram for gram. As you may know Omega-3 fatty acids help you stay away from heart disease and regulate your cholesterol triglyceride levels.
3. Eggs – Each egg has around 6 grams of protein and just 70 calories. Eggs make an excellent food for weight management and maintaining muscle. They are also rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
4. Quinoa – This grain contains vitamin E, B vitamins, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and iron. It’s high in fiber and naturally gluten free. It is also high in protein and contains all nine essential amino acids.
5. Oatmeal – It contains antioxidants, calcium, potassium and is high in fiber. It has been linked to good heart health and it can lower your high blood pressure by several points. It can also lower your cholesterol levels and even improve your metabolism.
6. Blueberries – It is one of the highest antioxidant foods. But also includes vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, folate and fiber. These berries support a good heart health and lower cholesterol in the blood.
7. Almonds – They are the most nutritional dense nut offering the most nutrients per calorie. They also contain healthy fats, vitamin E, magnesium ,fiber and protein. Eating almonds helps your blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels.
8. Beans – They are considered the cheapest source of protein along with eggs. They are packed with complex carbs and fiber. Beans are a good source of antioxidants and also contain vitamins and minerals such as copper, iron and zinc.
9. Apples – An apple a day keeps the doctor away it’s not far from the truth. Apples are high in antioxidants, fiber and are a low calorie food. They help reduce the risk of developing hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease.
10. Salmon – Although it can get a little pricey, Salmon is a good source of protein and Omega-3 fatty acids. It provides antioxidant amino acid taurine and it is a good source of niacin, vitamin B12, vitamin D, vitamin B6, potassium and biotin.
Share with us some of your favorite superfoods you like to include as part of your diet.